[mythtv-users] DVD Ripping was: Zap2it Labs Shutting Down?

Dewey Smolka dsmolka at gmail.com
Fri Jun 22 19:16:39 UTC 2007

> I think a lot of folks (like content owners) hear "ripping" and
> immediately think of audio CDs and illegal activity.

I think Brian is spot on, but on the other hand, I don't think I've
ever heard anyone suggest that ripping a (Red Book) CD is illegal.
After all, there's no DMCA violation, and no copyright violation
unless and until the work is redistributed. I believe the law even
specifically allows copying audio recordings for personal use, or for
e.g. family members.

I do think it's in bad form to use language that suggests that MythTV
users are doing anything more than protecting their media investment,
but we also shouldn't suggest that certain activities are illegal when
they are nothing of the kind.

Of course I could be wrong . . .