[mythtv-users] DVD Ripping was: Zap2it Labs Shutting Down?

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Fri Jun 22 18:04:59 UTC 2007

David Brodbeck wrote:
> I don't think backing up a DVD requires bypassing CSS.  If you make a
> bit-for-bit copy of a DVD onto a DVD blank, it will work.  All CSS
> does is prevent you from extracting the video and converting it to
> another format.

Perhaps "Backing Up" could be done in that way, but "ripping" could not
be, and "Ripping" is what's being discussed a lot on this list.

I think a lot of folks (like content owners) hear "ripping" and
immediately think of audio CDs and illegal activity. If we just
refrained from the word "rip" and its derivatives it would probably help
the PR situation. "Back Up" or even "protect" your paid-for copy is a
better way to put it.

Nobody wants their product "ripped", but everyone wants it "protected".

BEWW