[mythtv-users] Zap2it Labs Shutting Down?

Brian J. Murrell brian at interlinx.bc.ca
Fri Jun 22 02:11:04 UTC 2007

On Thu, 2007-06-21 at 21:39 -0400, Jay R. Ashworth wrote:
> But no one's explained *how* exactly, you could violate the agreement
> in that way, since each account has a finite number of lineups.

A lineup can be a simple as "Comcast analog cable in Seattle" (to pull a
city and provider out of my ass) so that one account could be used for
all myth boxes in Seattle.  Same can be done for all major metro areas.

You gotta remember, these would be "store bought" myth boxes for mom &
pop's, not hackers like us.  They all would likely have been perfectly
happy with a nice default, vanilla lineup for their local cableco.

> It
> doesn't seem that it would have been practical for the license to be
> violated in the fashion they appear to be alleging; at least, not on a
> scale big enough to actually justify the shutdown.

Maybe.  Maybe not.  We don't know what their threshold was.

> I, personally, buy more "revenue drops 11.1%", "new president" and "new
> data schema and we can't be bothered to rewrite" more, myself.

Maybe,  But all of this is really not at all relevant to my gripe and
that was that somebody dove in, created a nice new thread with an old
beaten solution to the problem that zap2it/tms were obviously not
interested in solving.  That could have been learned by reading a few
posts rather than posting without reading first.

b.

Brian J. Murrell