[mythtv-users] IR receiver alternatives

William Munson william_munson at bellsouth.net
Thu Jun 21 10:18:35 UTC 2007

Craig Huff wrote:
> I am STILL going to build a new FrontEnd box despite the last few days uproar ;-).
>
> Now the issue I have is that I either have to sacrifice a PC card slot (PCI/PCIe) to put
> a serial port backplate in or go with some kind of USB-based IR receiver to "listen" to
> my handheld remote.

One rather expensive option would be to buy a HDHomeRun and use its IR
receiver. As a plus, you gain 2 HD capture devices. ;-) ("Honey I HAD to
buy this to make the system work!")

 Last time I checked, there were several commercial options available
but that was over a year ago.

PS - Dont worry about Z2I going away, there are plenty of other options.
Some will just require more frequent updates to the code as the sources
attempt to limit the "abuse" of their web servers.