[mythtv-users] IR receiver alternatives

Craig Huff huffcs at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 21 03:24:19 UTC 2007

I am STILL going to build a new FrontEnd box despite the last few days uproar ;-).

Now the issue I have is that I either have to sacrifice a PC card slot (PCI/PCIe) to put
a serial port backplate in or go with some kind of USB-based IR receiver to "listen" to
my handheld remote.

I've seen the commandIR and USB-UIRT are available, albeit not at pocket change prices.
I've seen several of the build-your-own and ready made serial IR receivers that are LIRC
compatible .
I have a USB IRdA dongle laying around that *could* be used, although I've gotten the
impression that IRdA isn't a supported mechanism.  (Please confirm/correct/clarify?)

FWIW, I'm planning to stick with FC6/7 based on Jarod's fine HOWTO, so everything I have
done (so far) with Linux has been installed as RPMs using yum -- no compiles/patches.
I hasten to add that it is not beyond my skills, just unexplored territory and I haven't sought
out or seen any "maps" on how to do that, yet.

What are the trade-offs (besides $$ ;-) as far as convenience of use, reliability, ease of installation
and configuration, durability (if there's any difference of note on that score), and support for the
various IR receiver solutions?  What other ones might I have missed?  (Parallel port?)

If nothing else, think of this as a way to get your minds off of our "Black Tuesday" -- it may not
be as bad as the numerous posts might make it seem.  Hey! It's SUPPOSED TO BE ENTERTAINMENT,
not a career!  (Huh, as I sit here again at least an hour after bed time and I didn't even watch any
shows again tonight. Sigh.)

Any advice/opinion/insight appreciated.

Craig.