[mythtv-users] DVD Ripping was: Zap2it Labs Shutting Down?

Chris Petersen lists at forevermore.net
Thu Jun 21 01:48:42 UTC 2007

Ow Mun Heng wrote:
> BTW, curious as to what are the "more efficient" file formats.

mainly, running stuff through a higher compression xvid or h.264 codec.
  Not really a file format, but I was feeling too lazy to go into
detail.  I'm not sure what makes running through transcode/ffmpeg better
than Myth's own encoder (it's the same as ffmpeg's), but it does seem to
help.  MythTV's internal player doesn't actually do h.264+mp4 very well,
but that's ffmpeg's fault and means that xine and mplayer are both
troublesome, too.

I'm a "watch once" kind of guy when it comes to movies, so I don't own
very many DVDs, and haven't really ripped anything of my own.
Everything usually just goes through netflix and gets played on the
standalone dvd player.

-Chris