[mythtv-users] Zap2it Labs Shutting Down?

Jay R. Ashworth jra at baylink.com
Wed Jun 20 20:17:59 UTC 2007

On Wed, Jun 20, 2007 at 01:34:15PM -0600, Brian Wood wrote:
> Jay R. Ashworth wrote:
> > On Wed, Jun 20, 2007 at 11:40:29AM -0500, Mark Phillip wrote:
> >> I run a startup that licenses data from TMS.  The first quote they gave
> >> me was $12,000 a month for all channels for all states in the U.S.
> >> Canada costs extra.  Thankfully my site is a Sports/TV mashup, so I
> >> don't need the full data set, but it's still very expensive.
> >
> > The data would be the cheap part.  Unless you did something smarter
> > than centralized servers.
> >
> > *Has* anyone called Google?
>
> If anyone had the first thing Google would do would be to attempt to
> contact TMS. As was pointed out this could do nothing but confuse and
> delay the efforts of the developers.

I disagree.

That's not what Google *does*.  Google, if they thought it cost
effective, would likely try to reverse engineer what TMS and Gemstar do
now, and Go Do It Themselves.

Likely in a more intelligent manner, from *our* personal point of view.

They overstep sometimes, but they've got some *really* smart people
working for them.

Or, they might just *buy* TMS or Gemstar; look at their market cap
lately?

Cheers,
-- jra