[mythtv-users] media streaming without nfs mount

Mike LaPlante mike at dividia.net
Wed Jun 20 17:11:49 UTC 2007

This is my understanding of it, though I could be wrong, if I am I'm
sure someone else will jump in.

Let's say your backend keeps the video recordings in /var/lib/videos.

The frontend will look on its own filesystem for /var/lib/videos, if it
doesn't find them there, it will stream all recordings from the backend
via its myth:// protocol. This requires no setup, simply make it so the
frontend can't find the video files.

However, I believe in the playback setup menu there is an option to
always stream even if it finds the video files on its filesystem. I'm
not even really sure why its there, seems to me its easy enough to force
the streaming, I'm sure there's good reason though or else the devs
wouldn't have bothered.

Mike