[mythtv-users] chunks missing from recordings?

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Tue Jun 19 16:17:03 UTC 2007

On 06/19/2007 10:02 AM, Brian Wood wrote:
> Cnudde, Paul wrote:
>
>> "Joe Borne" Wrote
>>> The new behavior I am seeing now is that on occassion, a recording will have
>>> pieces missing from it. They appear to be about 2-3 minutes in length and
>>> bunched together in a particular spot, usually 30 minutes into the
>>> recording. The recording will just jump forward 2-3 minutes and there will
>>> be the sort of mpeg compression blocks you would see in a digital
>>> transmission that was having signal problems. (I used to see this effect
>>> when I had digital satellite and was having reception problems.)
>> I have seen this before. If I delete a program while another is recording, then the show that is being recorded will have the chunks missing exactly as you describe. My workaround is to only delete when nothing else is recording. my best non-technical guess would be that drive intensive activity during recording will cause this.  I've always meant to try the "delete files slowly" option to see if that corrects it.
>>
> Yep, that would do it, assuming he's using the ext3 filesystem. That's
> one big reason for the "slow deletes" option.

Which I highly recommend enabling.  Also, having the MySQL server's
files on the same drive as the recordings can cause the same problems.
In other words, something is causing too much I/O activity for the
recording drive (or bus on which that drive is attached if you have
multiple drives on the bus) to handle.

Mike