[mythtv-users] ALSA experts: Please help me configure ALSA

Joe Borne joe.borne at gmail.com
Tue Jun 19 14:15:45 UTC 2007

I had a heck of a time getting SPDIF to work as well. Turns out that my ATI
chipset was not supported by default int he Fedora Core 6 rpm install of
ALSA. So I had to go to the ALSA website and download/install from source
with a "--" option that turned on ATI support.

Once I had that done, I had to unmute the IEC958 in alsamixer, then turns
it's volume to zero - AND - I had to umute IEC958P and set it's volume to
100%. I've never seen any documentation note the IEC958P so I guess it's
unique to my chipset.

if you have an ATi chipset let me know, I have the instructions on how
exactly I got mine working written up somewhere - I'll dig it out for you.

Now that it's working though, the sound is beautiful. MythMusic even splits
my MP3's into a surround-sound like effect despite the fact they are only in
stereo. I have no idea why or how it does this as I didn't configure my alsa
setup to do anything of the sort (I used defaults all the way through).

My only complaint is that at times, when I fast forward or rewind I'll lose
sound. Pausing and resuming play fixes it. Sometimes I get some pretty loud
crackle when pausing and resuming too. I'd love to know how to fix that as
it annoys the girlfriend to death.