[mythtv-users] Frontend Upgrade

David Frascone dave at frascone.com
Mon Jun 18 16:35:02 UTC 2007

Went with this board:
http://www.biostar.com.tw/app/en-us/t-series/content.php?S_ID=183

An AMD X2 4600 (not low power -- oh well), an reasonably quiet fan, and the
thermaltake Mozart case, who's fans (at least) are rated to be quiet.

I'll let you know how it all sounds / performs when it arrives and I put it
all together.

-Dave

On 6/18/07, David Segall <david at segall.net> wrote:

> David Frascone wrote:
> > Yes, this is a bump ;)
> >
> > No one else has any mobo/cpu combo recommendations?  No case
> > recommendations?  I expected at least an Intel-vs-AMD or
> > Antec-vs-Silverstone flame war!
>
> With a few caveats I would recommend my Antec Fusion case
> <http://www.antec.com/us/productDetails.php?ProdID=15738> but not to
> you. It features a couple of large case fans that would be useful for a
> passively cooled CPU but they are not temperature controlled and I'm
> sure you could do better with the right CPU fan.
>
> Your second requirement is (possibly) for a built in IR control but the
> Antec Fusion has only a volume control knob. Actually, I think a
> suitable keyboard makes a better remote than anything else and is
> usually required anyway. I'm happy with my Adesso
> <http://www.adesso.com/products_detail.asp?productid=281> but I covet a
> diNovo Edge
> <http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/keyboards/keyboard/devices/192&cl=us,en
> >
> for its looks.
>
> Since the Fusion is the only Antec case aimed at the HTPC market you are
> unlikely to start a flame war. Anyway, I'm sure that all Antec Fusion
> owners are still recovering from the brutal "I'm also only
> planning to put a motherboard and an optical drive in the case, so don't
> see the need to having something that rivals the size of most older home
> audio receivers" that was recently posted here. :)
>
> If you don't need an optical drive in your front end perhaps
> <http://www.mvpmc.org/> may be the answer.
> > On 6/16/07, *David Frascone* <dave at frascone.com
> > <mailto:dave at frascone.com>> wrote:
> >

> >     Ok -- it's about time for me to upgrade my diskless frontend, so I
> >     need some help on some items:
> >
> >     1) I run diskless, and prefer as little noise as possible.  I know
> >     that AMD makes a low power CPU that can be passivly cooled, but I've
> >     had trouble finding one from any of the normal search engines.
> >     (It's hard to put 15watts in the search).  So -- does anyone have a
> >     link for a CPU / MB combo that can be passivly cooled?  Built in
> >     video would also be nice -- as long as the whole combo can keep up
> >     with HD video playback.  So -- does anyone have any newegg or other
> >     online vendor links?
> >
> >     2) Lirc is a constant cause of issues for me.  It just often fails,
> >     and my wife is not technologically savy enough to ssh in and kill
> >     mythfrontend.  So -- she usually resorts to pushing reset.  While
> >     this is fine on a diskless box -- it is unnecessary downtime.  So --
> >     what I would like is some input on cases that have enough controls
> >     to navigate back and kill mythfrontend.  I guess a single "things
> >     are messed up" button would be ok -- but ideally it would be a set
> >     of arrows and a select.  (And, maybe even an escape).  Does this
> >     exist?  (of course, the buttons need to be some kind of HID or
> >     something -- an IR transmitter wouldn't do so well, if lircd was
> hosed.

> [...]

David Frascone

We take drugs very seriously at my house...