[mythtv-users] Frontend Upgrade

David Segall david at segall.net
Mon Jun 18 16:28:33 UTC 2007

David Frascone wrote:
> Yes, this is a bump ;)
>
> No one else has any mobo/cpu combo recommendations?  No case
> recommendations?  I expected at least an Intel-vs-AMD or
> Antec-vs-Silverstone flame war!

With a few caveats I would recommend my Antec Fusion case
<http://www.antec.com/us/productDetails.php?ProdID=15738> but not to
you. It features a couple of large case fans that would be useful for a
passively cooled CPU but they are not temperature controlled and I'm
sure you could do better with the right CPU fan.

Your second requirement is (possibly) for a built in IR control but the
Antec Fusion has only a volume control knob. Actually, I think a
suitable keyboard makes a better remote than anything else and is
usually required anyway. I'm happy with my Adesso
<http://www.adesso.com/products_detail.asp?productid=281> but I covet a
diNovo Edge
<http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/keyboards/keyboard/devices/192&cl=us,en>
for its looks.

Since the Fusion is the only Antec case aimed at the HTPC market you are
unlikely to start a flame war. Anyway, I'm sure that all Antec Fusion
owners are still recovering from the brutal "I'm also only
planning to put a motherboard and an optical drive in the case, so don't
see the need to having something that rivals the size of most older home
audio receivers" that was recently posted here. :)

If you don't need an optical drive in your front end perhaps
<http://www.mvpmc.org/> may be the answer.