[mythtv-users] Opinions on PVR-350 Support + PVR-350 Hardware Hacking....

Carsten Aulbert (list) carsten at welcomes-you.com
Mon Jun 18 14:14:36 UTC 2007

Hi Steve,

Steve Smith wrote:

> 1) How stable is the PVR-350 under Myth? I know on Windows GB-PVR it's been
> all but abandoned due to instability, restart problems etc etc. What's the
> situation with Linux?

I'm using the 350 now for 2.25 yers and only had initial problems with
very early ivtv drivers. Right now I've upgraded everything to kernel
2.6.20 and use ivtv 0.10.3 right now. For more info look at the ivtv
page - their user list is also very helpful.

A caveat: the PVR350 is jsut a name, there are many different versions
of the card around, but as far as I can tell, most should work fine.

> 2) The one thing lacking from the PVR-350 in my book is an RGB
> output...however looking at the specs for the TV chip (the SAA7127?) on
> board, it can produce the RGB signals. So it MAY be that I can do some fine
> brain surgery to add the 3 necessary wires. Has anyone tried this? Would
> anyone be prepared to take some high resolution piccies of both sides of
> the
> board so I can see how feasible it might be?

Never tried, sorry.

> 3) How well does it work for non-MPEG2 output? Is the frame buffer up to
> the
> task of showing DVDs/DIVx etc?

YUeah, no problem. Even my Duron 650 has no issues with mplayer or xine
playing divx. DVDs I ahve not tried for some time, but if I remember
correctly, worked fine as well. Just be careful to enable 'xv',
otherwise you'll be in trouble.

HTH

Carsten