[mythtv-users] ivtv capture is good, but mythtv hoses it

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Mon Jun 18 01:56:14 UTC 2007

Aaron Nauman wrote:
> I run a

> get jitter.
>> >
>> >  In MythTV, what resolution/bitrate do you have set for your LiveTV
>> >  profile for MPEG2 Hardware Encoders? If you change the resolution for
>> >  LiveTV to 720x480 do things improve?
>>
>> Thanks for the reply Nick.
>>
>> I am running with the default settings: 480 x 480 with 368K bitrate.
> I tried 720 x 480 and get no improvement.
>>
>> I have tested my hard drive and it is getting good throughput.  Any
> other ideas?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Aaron
>
> I have tried changing the resolution and bitrate settings around, with
> no improvement.
> I am getting some "NVP: prebuffering pause" messages.
> I tried output through PVR-350, but still have the jitter, so I am
> pretty sure it is on capture.
>
> I have read through the troubleshooting sections on ivtv and mythtv and
> everything else I can find with google and haven't found anything that
> makes a difference.  And that includes rebuilding the machine from
> scratch.  I am really worried that I am going to have an expensive
> doorstop on my hands, unless someone can help get me on the right track.
>
> Any thoughts anyone?

What sort of system? Myth puts a significant load on system resources,
if you have an underpowered CPU it might work fine running a cat command
but fall on its knees running Myth.

What CPU and what load running Myth? Are you running X and all graphical
stuff when you run your cat command? Is your RAM limited, ie" are you
swapping when running Myth but not when running the cat?

BEWW