[mythtv-users] using both firewire and svideo

Raphael rpooser at gmail.com
Sun Jun 17 22:10:31 UTC 2007

Daniel Kristjansson wrote:
> On Wed, 2007-06-13 at 06:32 -0700, Adrian wrote:
>

>>         Use two different channel lineups in zap2it, one that just has
>>         channels < 100 in it and assign it to the firewire input, and
>>         one just with channels > 100 in it and assign that to the
>>         svideo input.  You may need to set up a second zap2it account
>>         for this,
>>
>> That doesn't quite work, Myth could still attempt to record from
>> different channels on both inputs simultaneously.  It seems that there
>> needs to be a way to tell myth that the two inputs are mutually
>> exclusive.  Or, another approach would be to treat them as the same,
>> but have a way to say use firewire for certain channels and svideo for
>> others.
>>

> What you need is "input groups". This available in the
> mythtv-multirec branch. Do what Adrian describes, then
> put both the analog input and the firewire input in the
> same input group using the input connections pane of
> mythtv-setup. This should allow MythTV to resolve the
> conflicts for you.
>
> -- Daniel

Well, it looks like input groups worked. What I did was make an input
group called cable box and added both the svideo input of the pvr 150
and the firewire input to it. Now when something is recording on one it
treats a recording on the other as a conflict and reassigns it to the
coax input of the other pvr-150 if possible.

So that worked great. There were a few hitches though:

It seems that I couldn't compile the multirec branch of mythtv as
provided in svn for some reason.
I got the error

xmlparse.o: file not recognized: File truncated
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status

I looked in the libmyth directory and a file called xmlparse.o is there.
I got around it by copying the xmlparse.o from my original mythtv-0.20
source into the multirec directory. After that the make continued on
without problems.

Three other small problems came about as a result of this as well. One,
the up and down keys no longer change channels properly: they instead
reset the channel on any input back the starting channel. So if I'm on
channel 75 and hit up, wanting to go to 76, instead it sends me back to
channel 2. Hitting down has the same effect.  Second, anytime I want to
change channel on the firewire box it sends the command twice, so it
sets the channel twice. I'm using 6200ch to tune the dct-6200 when using
svideo input; with my old version it was working properly and sending
the channel change command only once. When using firewire as the input
it doesn't need a channel change command, but it still sets the channel
number twice in a row.  Lastly, It can't display a preview in the live
tv program guide now. Before the switch to the multirec branch that was
working fine as well.

I wonder if I caused any of those problems by using my old xmlparse.o.
By the name of the file it seems doubtful that it's related to any of
the functions I'm having trouble with, though.

None of those are big problems for recording shows, but they kind of
make watching livetv somewhat difficult.

Anyone else using this branch have any experience with this?
Thanks!
Raphael