[mythtv-users] MB Blew up - How do I move the database to the new system?

Matt skd5aner at gmail.com
Fri Jun 15 19:34:58 UTC 2007

On 6/15/07, John Drescher <drescherjm at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 6/15/07, Michael Jones <mythlist at michaelandholly.com> wrote:
> > To add to the category "I hate it when that happens"...
> >
> > The mb on my FC3 system died and I replaced the board with the same
> > model (slightly different revision) but the OS won't boot.  The data
> > is fully intact when I boot single user.. but I can't (or at least I
> > think I can't) export the database under single user mode.
> >
> > I've installed a new system with Knoppmyth on a different drive - the
> > old drive is still fully intact .. it just won't boot.   The new
> > system is "almost" up and running (just a couple little tweaks to
> > make and I'm back up again.
> >
> > I'd like to move the mysql database from the old FC3 drive to the new
> > knoppmyth system so that I can keep my recordings.
> >
> > What's the best way to accomplish this.
>
> Boot off a livecd. mount your /
> then chroot into your old environment then
>
> Backup the database with mysqldump and restore
>
> http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/Upgrading_from_0.18.1_to_0.19_on_Fedora_4_from_ATrpms
>

> John

He didn't say his OS or hard drive failed, his MB blew up.  Booting to
a livecd in the same box isn't really an option.

This happened to me a month ago.  If you've got another computer,
simply put your hard drive in that computer and boot.  Amazingly,
it'll probably boot to a shell with little to no issue.

Then, follow the documentation:

If you're just replacing the motherboard, then there's not need to do
hardly anything.  Just pop the hard drive back into the system with
the new motherboard.  If you're rebuilding a new system, then follow
the "Moving to new hardware" section a few sections down.

Matt

Thanks!