[mythtv-users] nvidia geforce fx 5200 and DPMS with HDTV

Bryan Allen browne.allen at gmail.com
Thu Jun 14 20:35:34 UTC 2007

Hi all, I've finally hooked up a DVI-HDMI cable to my hdtv and it looks 10
times better. I've compensated for overscan using the mythfrontend setup.
The last bit of trouble I face is that the screen relentlessly blacks out
after so many minutes (I haven't timed it). I imagine that DPM is to blame,
but "xset -q" says it's off. It's not turned on in my xorg.conf file either.
Despite this, my /var/log/Xorg.log file spits out:

(II) NVIDIA(0): Setting mode "1920x1080"
(II) Loading extension NV-GLX
(II) NVIDIA(0): NVIDIA 3D Acceleration Architecture Initialized
(II) NVIDIA(0): Using the NVIDIA 2D acceleration architecture
(==) NVIDIA(0): Backing store disabled
(==) NVIDIA(0): Silken mouse enabled
(**) Option "dpms" "FALSE"
(**) NVIDIA(0): DPMS enabled
(II) Loading extension NV-CONTROL
(==) RandR enabled

"DPMS enabled" everytime. I don't understand why. Does anyone know how to
stop this?
I should also mention that a simple press of the keyboard doesn't seem to
"wake" the tv. I have to jump to a text terminal ( ALT + F5 ) and then back
again ( ALT + F7 ).