[mythtv-users] MythWeb - Deletion Suggestion

Nick Morrott knowledgejunkie at gmail.com
Wed Jun 13 07:38:14 UTC 2007

On 13/06/07, Michael T. Dean <mtdean at thirdcontact.com> wrote:
> On 06/13/2007 02:43 AM, Nick Morrott wrote:
> > On 12/06/07, Trey Thompson <treythompson at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> >> Chris et all,
> >>   What do you think about an option in the config, so that when you delete
> >> the last recording of a title (For example, "MythBusters"), instead of going
> >> back to "All Recordings", it would go to the previous/next selection in the
> >> "Show Recordings" dropdown?
> >>
> > Do you watch all your recordings in title-alphabetical order? That's
> > the only scenario I can see for this option - surely you'd want to be
> > able to choose from all still-available titles?
>
> I'm guessing he's looking for a way to minimize the amount of data
> retrieved (especially over slow 'net connections).  When you have 300+
> recordings and enable the thumbnail preview in the Recorded Programs
> page, that page gets to be rather large.  For example, I currently have
> 378 recordings and the Recorded Programs page showing "All groups" and
> "All recordings" requires more than 5.5MiB downloaded from the MythWeb
> server (not to mention the time/backend effort required for "catching
> up" on preview creation now that MythWeb no longer shares the frontend's
> previews).
>
> While I agree that just picking an arbitrary program title is not a good
> approach, I have considered making patches to allow me to get to the
> Recorded Programs page without the hit involved in downloading
> everything, but I haven't yet decided on an approach that I would
> classify as a "good UI."
>
> The approach I've been leaning toward is to create another link on the
> MythWeb home page in the "TV" section allowing the user to choose
> whether to go direct to all recordings or to choose.  I.e.:
>
>  - Recorded Programs
>    -- All recordings (link)
>    -- Choose group/recordings (link)
>
> Where the "Choose group/recordings" option would take you to the
> Recorded Programs page, but without the table of program--i.e. showing
> only the "Show group" and "Show recordings" select boxes.  Once the user
> chooses a group and/or recordings, they would see only those.  Or, if
> the user were only interested in the number of episodes of some show
> available, she could get that info from the "Show recordings" list.
>
> With this approach, deleting the last item from a group could simply
> show the "choose" page.  The "Recorded Programs" link in the nav bar
> would still go to the "everything" page, so it would only affect users
> who explicitly ask for a choice.

I like the idea of the Recorded Programmes page having the choice of
displaying top-level records for each title available in the Show
Programmes list. Each record would display an icon from those
generated from the programmes in that title group, the number of
episodes, and the date of the most recent recording. The user could
select a record to drill down into a listing of episodes for that
title, and have the ability to return to the title listing -
voluntarily if the title group is not empty, and automatically when
the last recording in the group is deleted.

--
Nick

MythTV Official wiki:
http://mythtv.org/wiki/