[mythtv-users] MythWeb - Deletion Suggestion

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Wed Jun 13 07:13:38 UTC 2007

On 06/13/2007 02:43 AM, Nick Morrott wrote:
> On 12/06/07, Trey Thompson <treythompson at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Chris et all,
>>   What do you think about an option in the config, so that when you delete
>> the last recording of a title (For example, "MythBusters"), instead of going
>> back to "All Recordings", it would go to the previous/next selection in the
>> "Show Recordings" dropdown?
>>
> Do you watch all your recordings in title-alphabetical order? That's
> the only scenario I can see for this option - surely you'd want to be
> able to choose from all still-available titles?

I'm guessing he's looking for a way to minimize the amount of data
retrieved (especially over slow 'net connections).  When you have 300+
recordings and enable the thumbnail preview in the Recorded Programs
page, that page gets to be rather large.  For example, I currently have
378 recordings and the Recorded Programs page showing "All groups" and
"All recordings" requires more than 5.5MiB downloaded from the MythWeb
server (not to mention the time/backend effort required for "catching
up" on preview creation now that MythWeb no longer shares the frontend's
previews).

While I agree that just picking an arbitrary program title is not a good
approach, I have considered making patches to allow me to get to the
Recorded Programs page without the hit involved in downloading
everything, but I haven't yet decided on an approach that I would
classify as a "good UI."

The approach I've been leaning toward is to create another link on the
MythWeb home page in the "TV" section allowing the user to choose
whether to go direct to all recordings or to choose.  I.e.:

 - Recorded Programs
   -- All recordings (link)
   -- Choose group/recordings (link)

Where the "Choose group/recordings" option would take you to the
Recorded Programs page, but without the table of program--i.e. showing
only the "Show group" and "Show recordings" select boxes.  Once the user
chooses a group and/or recordings, they would see only those.  Or, if
the user were only interested in the number of episodes of some show
available, she could get that info from the "Show recordings" list.

With this approach, deleting the last item from a group could simply
show the "choose" page.  The "Recorded Programs" link in the nav bar
would still go to the "everything" page, so it would only affect users
who explicitly ask for a choice.

Anyone have any better ideas?  If not, I may eventually get around to
coding up a patch that implements this idea.

Mike