[mythtv-users] Motorola VIP 1200 and 1216

Joe Harvell jharvell+lists.mythtv-users at dogpad.net
Wed Jun 13 05:28:39 UTC 2007

Trey Thompson wrote:
> On 6/4/07, *Trey Thompson* <treythompson at gmail.com
> <mailto:treythompson at gmail.com>> wrote:

[snip]
>         >
>         > I'm thinking of getting AT&T's new U-Verse, which uses the Motorola
>         > VIP 1200 (standard receiver, HD, yadda yadda), and the VIP 1216
>         (DVR
>         > model).
>         >
[snip]

> Well, I had the service installed today.  It seems pretty cool so far.
> 2Wire Router (Model 3800HGV-B), Motorola VIP 1200 STBs and a 1216 DVR.
> Of course, Myth is 10 times better.  :)
>
> Now, can anyone recommend good ways to try and start figuring out if I
> can get the native recording's or native video streams off the STBs?  I
> guess I'm limited to using the outputs on the STBs?

Trey:

I know you are interested in capturing the raw video streams between the
 router and the VIP 1200.  Here is something that may get you started.
I notice that the MythTV source has support for a virtual capture card
that really records video transport streams over UDP.  I have never used
it, but I looked at the source code (SVN version 13110 from the
release-0-20-fixes branch) and found these code comments in
mythtv/libs/libmythtv/crcnetworkrecorder.cpp.  Note:  You need to make
sure that support for this recorder was not disabled (via
--disable-crciprec) when MythTV was compiled.

By the way, if you just want to connect the analog outputs of the VIP
1200 to a normal capture card, where will you get the listings data?
Data Direct has no lineup for U-verse in my area right now.

/*

This type of "Capture Card" will record MPEG-2 Transport Stream feeds
over UDP/IP. This recorder supports MPEG1/MPEG2/MPEG4-AVC video.

1. USAGE
--------
To use this recorder in MythTV, start mythtv-setup and:
- Create the a new "CRC IP Network Recorder" capture card.
- Create a new video source with no listing grabber.
- Create manually a new channel in the channel editor and set the video
source
  to the one you just created.
- Set the CRC_IP->MPEG2TS input to the new video source and make sure the
  "Starting channel" is set to the the channel number of the newly created
  channel.

The easiest way to try the IP streaming recorder is to use the VLC player
(www.videolan.org) to stream the content of a file (MPEG1 or MPEG2), DVD
or VCD
to a UDP address using MPEG-TS transport. You can also use the H264
transcoder
included in VLC if you have installed the mythtv_crc_h264 patch to
MythTV. H264
transcoding seems to work correctly only from VLC 0.8.5-test3. A H264
video is
known to work with mp3 audio only, AAC support in MythTV is not working.

Here are some examples of VLC usage to test the Network input. These
examples
are for the VLC player for Win32 but it should be the same for the linux
version
except for the paths. Any movie DVD can be used in these examples. The IP
destination 192.168.1.100:1234 can be changed for your network
configuration:

To stream the content of a DVD:
  vlc dvdsimple://dev/dvd
:sout=#duplicate{dst=std{access=udp,mux=ts,dst=192.168.1.100:1234}}

To stream the content of a DVD transcoded in realtime to h264 (fast cpu
needed!):
  vlc dvdsimple://dev/dvd
:sout=#transcode{vcodec=h264,vb=512,scale=0.5,acodec=mp3,ab=128,channels=2}:duplicate{dst=s
td{access=udp,mux=ts,dst=192.168.1.100:1234}}

To transcode a DVD to h264 in a file named test.ts and then stream it:
  vlc dvdsimple://dev/dvd
:sout=#transcode{vcodec=h264,vb=512,scale=0.5,acodec=mp3,ab=128,channels=2}:duplicate{dst=s
td{access=file,mux=ts,dst="test.ts"}}
  vlc "test.ts"
:sout=#duplicate{dst=std{access=udp,mux=ts,dst=192.168.1.100:1234}}

 */