[mythtv-users] Motorola VIP 1200 and 1216

Trey Thompson treythompson at gmail.com
Tue Jun 12 03:43:13 UTC 2007

On 6/4/07, Trey Thompson <treythompson at gmail.com> wrote:

>  On 6/4/07, Seth Daniel <mythtv.org at sethdaniel.org> wrote:
> >
> > On Thu, May 31, 2007 at 07:28:23PM -0500, Trey Thompson wrote:
> > > Right now I have analog cable and 3 tuners.  AWESOME system!  GO
> > > MYTH!!!
> > >
> > > I'm thinking of getting AT&T's new U-Verse, which uses the Motorola
> > > VIP 1200 (standard receiver, HD, yadda yadda), and the VIP 1216 (DVR
> > > model).
> > >
> > > It has video out, HDMI with HDCP, ethernet, USB, Component, svideo,
> > > composite and channel 3/4 RF.
> > >
> > > Now, I know I could setup the composite to my PVR cards, but, does
> > > anyone know if or how I can get better images off the device?  It
> > > reports Video codecs with advanced compression (MPEG-s, MPEG-4
> > > (H.264), VC-1).
> > >
> > > I told the guy on the phone with AT&T what I had, and he said "You can
> > > pull the video off it on any of the interfaces, even the ethernet".
> >

> > I don't suppose you have learned anything more have you?  I live in
> > Southern California (where this U-Verse thing is being rolled out by
> > AT&T) and I was wondering what you are wondering.  Can this Motorola VIP
> > 1200 work with Myth?  I see nothing on AVS Forum about this STB.  I
> > don't know if it has been used by anyone else before which may explain
> > the lack of information on it.
> >
> > http://www.engadget.com/2006/08/16/atandt-to-launch-moto-vip-1216-u-verse-box-in-october/
> >

> > Sounds like it's all IPTV based.  The mention of H.264 is interesting I
> > guess.  If I have understood the conversations regarding the BBC testing
> > of H.264 and people with myth using said transmissions it sounds like
> > you need a fairly powerful machine to get decent playback.
> >
> > http://broadband.motorola.com/catalog/productDetail.asp?productID=441
> >
> > Somehow I don't think we'll be able to record HDTV, using either of
> > these
> > devices, with Myth being involved.

Well, I had the service installed today.  It seems pretty cool so far.
2Wire Router (Model 3800HGV-B), Motorola VIP 1200 STBs and a 1216 DVR.  Of
course, Myth is 10 times better.  :)

Now, can anyone recommend good ways to try and start figuring out if I can
get the native recording's or native video streams off the STBs?  I guess
I'm limited to using the outputs on the STBs?