[mythtv-users] Remote control (without a tuner card) recommendations?

Brett Kosinski fancypantalons at gmail.com
Tue Jun 12 19:12:23 UTC 2007

> The one thing I am not sure about is the serial port IR receiver, as I
> have an IR receiver that came with my piece-of-crap Kworld TV tuner card.  I
> am thinking that I am out of luck with the IR receiver I have from the
> Kworld tuner card, since it plugs directly into the Kworld PCI card and

not into the serial (or USB) port of the PC itself.  Could I get an IR
> receiver for cheap from radio shack (or ebay) or something?

I'm starting to sound like a shill, here, but I've had great success with
the receivers from www.irblaster.info.  His 6' cabled receivers cost $18.95
USD plus shipping, and are nice and small, very well suited to installing in
an HTPC case.  Of course, there are a few other places that sell similar
devices (basically an IR receiver hanging off a DB9 connector).

The other thing I am not 100% sure on is how complicated (i.e. difficult) it
> would be for me to get my Radio Shack universal remote working with myth. It
> looks like from Jarod's site that it is *possible*, but it appears to be a
> ton of work; and who knows if I will ever even be able to get it working
> correctly.  This may sound pretty wussy, but I am kinda looking for a
> relatively "easy to get working" alternative as I don't have limitless
> amount of computer play time since I am married with 3 kids that are four
> years and under....

It's actually quite simple, at least in my experience.  Once I had the
receiver working (a matter of plugging it in and installing the kernel
module, as per the lirc docs), it was a matter of using irrecord to create a
config file for my remote control, which really amounts to following the
directions it prints out.  It took me maybe 15 minutes, and most of that
time was spent typing in key names and pressing buttons.  Once that's done,
you set up the LIRC configuration for each application you plan to use
(note, this needs to be done regardless of the type of remote you go with).
I've done this with a couple different types of remotes, and it worked fine.

Brett.