[mythtv-users] Unusual Audio/Video lag on an AMD64 3000+

Calvin Dodge caldodge at gmail.com
Thu Jun 7 02:37:14 UTC 2007

On 6/6/07, Jonathan Seawright <jonathanathome at verizon.net> wrote:
> Calvin,
>
> 1GB of RAM is installed on one module

That should be enough, assuming you're not running any other memory
hogs at the same time (I've learned to NOT leave Firefox pointed at my
Gmail page overnight - it leaks memory at a steady rate).

> The HDD is actually quite new... although I'm trying to use an LVM (combined
> SATA and IDE drives).. it doesn't seem to detect the SATA drive because I
> added it after the initial install (I'll get that working later)

That's strange, I think.

> It is an ECS NFORCE3-A motherboard. Its chipset is based on an NVIDIA NFORCE
> 3 250

I used exactly the same board until Newegg's 1 gig Crucial DDR2 sale
compelled me to upgrade. (I have a strong prejudice against Via
chipsets, but they're obviously not involved in your case).

> It has played smoothly yesterday... I did a 'yum install samba' on mythdora
> (it's OS), but I HIGHLY doubt that could cause this problem...

As do I.

Have you tried rebooting the system? Yes, I know that's not the Linux
way, but I've found that to be the only way to handle disk I/O
problems with some Nvidia chipsets.

> is there a default name for the logfiles?

If you mean the Mythtv log, and your installed is derived from Fedora,
I suspect you'll find it at /var/log/mythtv/mythbackend.log

Calvin