[mythtv-users] Resolution, capture resolution, refresh rate, etc.

Calvin Dodge caldodge at gmail.com
Wed Jun 6 16:25:28 UTC 2007

On 6/6/07, Mark <scwipe at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Hey, everyone. I'm building a MythTV combined frontend/backend on an Ubuntu
> Feisty box, but I have little knowledge of how video works. I've read
> through the documentation, but I have some remaining questions where it's
> unclear. By the way, I have a Hauppage PVR-150-MCE, an NVidia 7800GT (it's
> my desktop computer, too), and an SD TV. I live in the U.S.
>
> 1. What should I set as my capture resolution in the setup? I don't know if
> I want to have my native TV resolution (is SD 640x480 in the U.S.?), have
> 525 instead of 480, or use a higher resolution which will be converted by my
> video card to my TV's resolution. My computer can handle all the encoding
> and decoding in the world, I'm sure.

720 by 480 with a PVR-500, and IIRC the PVR-150 uses the same chipset.
FWIW, I originally had 480 by 480, and sometimes got crappy records.
That ended when I switched it to 720 by 480 (hmmm ... this may be
related to my previous thread about my experience with a Samsung-based
PVR-500).

> 2. What should I set as my output resolution, refresh rate (I believe it's
> subdivided into horizontal and vertican scan, but I may be wrong),
> dot-clock, and that stuff? I'm outputting to my TV's S-Video port. Try to
> explain fairly in-depth, since I'm still new to this topic.

With the caveat that I'm using Fedora, not Ubuntu, if you're using a
relatively recent version of Xorg I don't _think_ you need to set the
dot clock or modelines.  My TV-out computer uses the following
numbers:

(in the monitor section)
        HorizSync    30.0 - 50.0
        VertRefresh  60.0 - 60.0