[mythtv-users] Hauppauge 350 dvd playback no sound

Jonathan Rogers jonner at teegra.net
Wed Jun 6 15:52:28 UTC 2007

On Tue, 2007-06-05 at 20:25 -0700, robinlee_r at yahoo.com wrote:
> Hi Jonathan,
>
> I rechecked my settings, and still no sound out of the dvd playback. I
> installed the xine player just to give it a try, as I have seen on
> some sites, that the player was better than mplayer, and I switched it
> on the frontend settings, now I do get sound but not TV out signal
> only image on the monitor and not on the TV anymore, I can only smile
> at the irony of having switched to another player and get the opposite
> problem.

So, you have a monitor connected to a regular video card as well as the
TV connected to the PVR-350? Where does the X session display? Where
does mythfrontend's GUI display? Where do you start Xine from? Xine
displays DVD video in pretty much the same way that MythDVD does, so
it's a surprising problem.

Using the ivtv and ivtv-fb kernel modules and the ivtvdev Xorg driver,
the PVR-350 should function as part of a regular X display, with the
XVIDEO (Xv) extension, which is needed for playing DVDs or any non-TV
recording. If you have X running on both monitor and TV, one might be
called ":0.0" and the other either ":0.1" or ":1". This value in the
DISPLAY environment variable is what determines where an X client shows
up.
--
Jonathan Rogers <jonner at teegra.net>