[mythtv-users] Hauppauge 350 dvd playback no sound

robinlee_r at yahoo.com robinlee_r at yahoo.com
Wed Jun 6 03:25:55 UTC 2007

Hi Jonathan,

I rechecked my settings, and still no sound out of the dvd playback. I installed the xine player just to give it a try, as I have seen on some sites, that the player was better than mplayer, and I switched it on the frontend settings, now I do get sound but not TV out signal only image on the monitor and not on the TV anymore, I can only smile at the irony of having switched to another player and get the opposite problem.

Again, any advice would be greatly appciate it.

Thanks

Robin

Jonathan Rogers <jonner at teegra.net> wrote: On Tue, 2007-06-05 at 07:34 -0700, robinlee_r at yahoo.com wrote:
> Hi Jonathan,
>
> No, I haven't been taking attention to the console from where I run
> mythfrontend,  I left the sound configuration with /dev/dsp/,
> alsa:something (I don't get alsa:default), mixer and master option on,
> should I change them to mixer and PCM?, I would double check tonight.
> I am using Ubuntu 6.10, I was reading last night that mythdvd for
> ubuntu does not work properly, but I couldn't find any alternative
> source to get a proper version.

The ALSA device named "default" is simply the default device and should
always exist. You can change it if necessary, but you probably don't
need to. Putting the string "ALSA:default" in a MythTV configuration
text box simply means that MythTV should use the device called "default"
in the ALSA namespace.

MythDVD works just fine on Ubuntu; I've used it on Edgy and Feisty.
However, to play encrypted DVDs, you need to install the libdvdcss2
package, which isn't available by default, for which you can thank the
US DMCA.

--
Jonathan Rogers