[mythtv-users] ffmpeg quality for Flash Files

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Tue Jun 5 18:55:04 UTC 2007

On 06/05/2007 02:15 PM, Bob Cottingham wrote:
> On 6/5/07, Michael T. Dean <mtdean at thirdcontact.com> wrote:
>
>> On 06/04/2007 08:12 PM, Bob Cottingham wrote:
>>
>>> I updated to the latest svn and removed the "2>/dev/null" to try to
>>> troubleshoot my setup and found the following error in the logs:
>>>
>>> [Mon Jun 04 17:24:47 2007] [error] ModPerl::Util::exit: (120000) exit
>>> was called at modules/stream/handler.pl line 137Compilation failed in
>>> require at /var/www/mythweb/mythweb.pl line 60.\n
>>>
>> That error would be output (on some systems--like yours and mine--at
>> least) because line 137 uses "exit" rather than "CORE::exit".  However,
>> line 137 is only executed if the ffmpeg call fails.  The error message
>> you should have gotten is "Can't do ffmpeg: /usr/bin/ffmpeg -y -i
>> <recording filename> -s 320x240 -r 24 -f flv -ac 2 -ar 11025 -ab 64k -b
>> 256k /dev/stdout |".
>>
>> So, reasons you may get that include:
>>    a) Your ffmpeg is installed in /usr/local/bin.  If so, "ln -s
>> /usr/local/bin/ffmpeg /usr/bin/ffmpeg" should fix it.
>>    b) Your recording files are not accessible (in the proper location)
>> on your MythWeb server
>>    c) Your ffmpeg is expecting different arguments
>>    d) You removed too little/too much from the ffmpeg command line.
>>    e) Something else...  :)
>>

> Thanks. You called it in a). I made the symlink and then got the same
> error, except at line 72 of the handler.pl file, which has the
> following line right before the exit:
>               "$basename does not exist in any recognized storage
> group directories for this host.";

Which is b.  I forgot to mention that the items in the above list aren't
mutually exclusive.  :)

> The problem is that I am running my webserver on a machine that is not
> a backend.

No problem.

> I don't know how it is referencing the file.

"Directly" through the filesystem.

> The directory
> with the video recording is in the same location on the webserver (via
> nfs) as it is on the backend (/var/mythtv/tv).

Good.  It can go "direct" through NFS.

> I installed mythweb on
> a backend machine temporarily and it did work. Any idea how to get
> around this?

What happens if you run mythtv-setup on the mythweb server and set up
storage groups that are identical to those on the backend(s)?

Or, if you go in there and find you have storage groups defined on the
mythweb server's hostname, delete them if you're not running a backend
there.

In other words, I think it is supposed to work by using the list of
directories defined in the master backend's storage groups if no storage
groups are defined for the current host.  Therefore, we want to first
find out what happens if no storage groups are defined for your
mythweb's hostname (which should be the configuration you have unless
you've defined some at some point in the past).  If that works, all is
good.  But, if it doesn't work, try making storage groups for the
mythweb server that match all the directories/group names on your
backends.  If that works, it means we need to fix MythWeb to honor the
master backend's list of directories.

Thanks,
Mike