[mythtv-users] HDHomerun + USB Analog Tuner?

Eric Pheatt eric.pheatt at gmail.com
Mon Jun 4 16:09:39 UTC 2007

On 6/3/07, Ken Mandelberg <km at mathcs.emory.edu> wrote:

>  >The Plextor PX-TV402 works quite well with a USB connection, but it's a
>  >bit pricey and the only mode Myth supports is MPEG4 (at least as of
>  >0.19).
>
> Having invested in an HDHomerun for HD, I'm reluctant to throw in
> another $200 for a few SD expanded basic cable channels. To make it
> worse Comcast is moving toward dropping the analog versions. I doubt
> they will last a year (Comcast is already dropping them in Chicago).
>
> Are there no drivers for any of the cheap analog usb stick tuners
> (Kworld, PlusTV, Power Color, MSI, ...)?

Not sure about those in particular but it would appear that the
WinTV-PVR-USB2 (http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/Hauppauge_WinTV-PVR-USB2)
would let you stay completely mpeg2 (if you are using XvMC) and "out
side of the box" and as long as you have the latest driver you should
be good if the wiki entry is accurate.

Cheers!
-Eric