[mythtv-users] what is the best way to connect to the backend from a Mac OS X frontend

Steve MacLaren scram69 at gmail.com
Mon Jul 30 20:52:22 UTC 2007

On 7/30/07, Kevin Kuphal <kuphal at dls.net> wrote:

> On 7/30/07, Tim Litwiller <timlitw at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > I got mythfrontend working on a mac, and live tv works great but I was
> > wondering. what is the best method to connect to the /storage/recordings
> > folder on the mythtv backend from the mac.  I have samba working and can
> > connect to it that with with both a windows machine and the mac.
>

> I don't think for recordings you need to map anything.  Myth will stream
> what it needs between backend and frontend.  As for plugins such as Video or
> Music, then you need to map something.

In my experience with the OSX frontend, that is correct.

I browsed to it with the samba network connector and then created a symlink
> > to put the share where i wanted it on the mac - but won't that break if it
> > goes to sleep or I reboot.
>

> Doesn't the Mac have the equivalent of autofs to automatically reconnect
> when needed?
>
> I read somewhere I should use a nfs share but that it is hard to setup and
> > insecure.  My home network is nated behind a linksys firewall and my isp
> > blocks common ports so I'm not terribly worried about security on this
> > machine.
>

> NFS has always worked fine for me Linux to Linux.  I don't see why it
> would be any different for Linux to Mac.

Kevin

I used  the netinfo manager to successfully mount my /videos directory.  It
automounts on startup/wakeup.  I used the guidance here:
http://www.bombich.com/mactips/automount.html
and here:
http://sial.org/howto/osx/automount/

"It's easy enough to name those who would piss themselves with joy over the
prospect of a One World corporate state, with billions of people begging to
work for their 1,500 calories a day and an xBox chip in their necks."