[mythtv-users] what is the best way to connect to the backend from a Mac OS X frontend

Wade Maxfield mythtv at hotblack.co.nz
Mon Jul 30 20:42:41 UTC 2007

>I got mythfrontend working on a mac, and live tv works great but I
>was wondering. what is the best method to connect to the
>/storage/recordings folder on the mythtv backend from the mac.  I
>have samba working and can connect to it that with with both a
>windows machine and the mac.
>
>I browsed to it with the samba network connector and then created a
>symlink to put the share where i wanted it on the mac - but won't
>that break if it goes to sleep or I reboot.
>
>I read somewhere I should use a nfs share but that it is hard to
>setup and insecure.  My home network is nated behind a linksys
>firewall and my isp blocks common ports so I'm not terribly worried
>about security on this machine.

I've used NFSManager on my OS X machines to set up the NFS mounts.
Normally takes 2-3 seconds to re-establish a connection when waking
from sleep.  However for best responsiveness while watching
recordings (or editing), using no NFS/Samba mount and just having
mythbackend stream the video is the best on my network.

  - Wade