[mythtv-users] UPnP music without frontend

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Thu Jul 26 09:28:40 UTC 2007

On 07/25/2007 11:55 PM, TJ Kolev wrote:
> I've spent several days looking for an answer but to no avail. I have
> a backend only server running. My UPnP client can see the myth server
> and play the recordings just fine. How do I configure the backend so
> that the UPnP client can see my music files as well? I need a way to
> tell the UPnP server "Look into /storage/music for your music files".
> How do I do this? Db setting? .config setting? Please keep in mind the
> following restrictions:
>
>  * A mythtv frontend will not be installed or run on the backend
> server machine.
>  * I don't have a mythtv frontend installed, but I can do that on
> another machine (which is not the UPnP client). However I don't expect
> there's a dependency between the mythmusic plugin and the upnp server.

Install the mythtv frontend on the machine and use the mythfrontend
settings to configure the Music settings.

If you refuse to install <100MB (probably /much/ less after accounting
for shared libraries that are already installed for mythbackend) of
programs on a machine that routinely processes and stores multi-gigabyte
files, you can dig through the code to figure out all the appropriate
settings to set all by yourself.  (Installing only the frontend or only
the backend is not a "supported" configuration, anyway.  And, if you
compiled yourself and used (the hidden in 0.20-fixes and removed from
SVN trunk) --disable-frontend configure option, you have a broken
compile, too.)

If you can convince me you've found a good reason not to install the
frontend, I may be more helpful, but I should warn you I'll be /very/
hard to convince.

Mike