[mythtv-users] Motherboard with AMD 690G / ATI Radeon x1250 - any good for mythtv?

Bob maillists.mythtv at gmail.com
Thu Jul 26 03:04:41 UTC 2007

On Thursday 26 July 2007 14:08, Daniel Agar wrote:
[snip]
> > But... it's got a Radeon x1250 onboard graphics.  Am I asking for
> > trouble?
[snip]

> I just bought an Asus M2NPV-VM, which has everything onboard including tv
> out and dvi. I put an X2 3800 in it and have been playing 720p and 1080i
> (recorded through firewire from a STB) reliably on a 720p lcd, without
> xvmc. The Asus M2N-MX is also a good option with the same stuff onboard
> but a bit cheaper as it doesn't have firewire. I paid just under $100
> Canadian for the M2NPV-VM, the M2N-MX is about $80. Oh and my board has an
> spdif connector but I currently only have a receiver capable of stereo.
>
> I don't know how well these ati/amd chipsets work in Linux but I know the
> ati cards a headache.

Thanks for that, Daniel.

I hadn't considered those boards, mainly because the hardware vendor site I
was using had them listed as 10/100 LAN (and the MX as a standard ATX) so I'd
filtered them out... looks like I'll have to go back and eyeball each
board... grrr.

The VM looks good.  No S/PDIF onboard from what I can tell from the manual
though, need to buy an extra addon card.  Do you know if you've got a newer
revision or something?

Definitely looks like the TV-out addon card is included in the box.

From what you and Todd say sounds as if I better treat the ATI graphics chips
like any other snarling, foamy mouthed woodland creature.  I'll keep my
distance I think.

Thanks.