[mythtv-users] OT: Hardware failure

Eric Smith erictsmith at gmail.com
Tue Jul 24 03:08:31 UTC 2007

> Eric Smith wrote:
>

> > I ran memtest from the fedora 6 install dvd... the same drive that
> > fedora live failed from.  BIOS shows all of the drives correctly.
>
> Perhaps you're not reading DVDs/CDs well? Dirty laser perhaps?
>

> > Yeah, I've found a few (just a few and mostly via boards) in the 30-40
> > range.  But like you said, compared to the cost of an x2/am2 combo for
> > 100 bucks...
>
> Some VIA-based boards of that vintage had problems with Myth (actually
> with ivtv I think).
>
> BEWW

Yeah, and I have a PVR-500, so I would need to stay away from the via
chipsets I think.

I have one more data point to add to my confusion now.  I completely ripped
the system apart and started over.  On accident i actually grabbed a
different HDD out of the closet this time to experiment with.  Its an
extremely old (i think actually my first ever myth install) 20gig drive with
FC3 on it.  Stupid thing boots fine and is rockin myth .17 in no time.  So
now I'm really confused.  Something about drive size perhaps, ide access
type?  I really dont know much about this realm?