[mythtv-users] OT: Hardware failure

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Tue Jul 24 03:53:33 UTC 2007

Eric Smith wrote:

> I have one more data point to add to my confusion now.  I completely
> ripped the system apart and started over.  On accident i actually
> grabbed a different HDD out of the closet this time to experiment with.
> Its an extremely old (i think actually my first ever myth install) 20gig
> drive with FC3 on it.  Stupid thing boots fine and is rockin myth .17 in
> no time.  So now I'm really confused.  Something about drive size
> perhaps, ide access type?  I really dont know much about this realm?

My guess would be that when you recently  were working on the machine
one of the IDE cables loosened up at a connector (the ribbon cable to
the connector, not the connector pair itself). This can happen easily,
especially with not-top-of-the-line cables.

Even with a bad HDD you should have been able to boot the Live CD,
unless the drive failure actually dragged one or more lines down, or
even possibly dragging the 12 or 5 volt PS down. But the drive couldn't
have been too badly off electronically, if the BIOS could recognize it,
leaving mechanical problems of course.

In any case, I'll bet you have a bad cable (or connector), possibly a
bad drive, and just possibly both.

BEWW