[mythtv-users] OT: Hardware failure

Eric Smith erictsmith at gmail.com
Mon Jul 23 17:18:43 UTC 2007

I have an old Athlon XP 2500 box that I use as one of my front ends that
I've been having some heat issues with since I moved it into a new cabinet.
A couple of nights ago I decided to take it all apart, clean the fans,
replace the thermal grease, etc to see if that would help at all.  After
putting it all back together... the box refuses to boot.  It hangs at the
uncompressing kernel line and with verbose on, at the line that says
something like "Athlon Stepping 00" (sorry I don't have it in front of me
and don't remember word for word).
I took it all back apart, doubled checked all my work, put it back together
and still no love.  Then I pulled an old hdd out of the closet with winxp on
it and threw that in -- doesn't boot either.

Then I started checking hardware...
The box has 2x512 sticks of ram... i booted with each stick individually...
no love
I took all the "extra" hardware out left just vid card, ram, cpu... no love
I took the cpu out and stuck it in an even older mobo i have laying
around.... the board only recognized the cpu at 1100mhz.... but it booted
fine
I put the cpu back on the original board, booted to memtest86 from the
fedora dvd and ran it for 12 hours with 0 errors

So at this point, I'm thinking it must be mobo, although i figured that
would have caused on error on memtest somewhere along the way?  Does anyone
have any suggestions?