[mythtv-users] Hiper HMC-2K53A hub error message

David George david at thegeorges.us
Sat Jul 21 21:14:36 UTC 2007

Dave Walker wrote:
> On Sat, 2007-07-21 at 16:42 -0400, David George wrote:
>
>> Dave Walker wrote:
>>
>>> The main problem encountered at this stage is of the
>>> implementation/kernel bug that is represented by the broken port 3 of
>>> the hub within the VFD display.
>>>
>>>  --> hub 4-8:1.0: Cannot enable port 3.  Maybe the USB cable is bad?
>>>
>>> I have been trying to fix this at kernel level, but have had little
>>> success.
>>>
>>> This bug has been reported to my distribution here:
>>> 	https://launchpad.net/bugs/122102
>>>

>> I just received my replacement unit and tried kernel 2.6.22-git16 and
>> the USB hub error no longer occurs.  lsusb now also works again (no
>> longer pauses for long time as on -2948 and no longer locks as in -2962).
>>
>> Haven't gotten much further, just wanted to report some progress.
>>
>> Any update on the VFD driver/protocol?
>>

> I curse you. :)
>
> I haven't been able to make much progress as I've been stuck with the
> kernel error.  How did you obtain a replacement module?
>
> I'll see if i can get a replacement module, then serious work can begin.
> I'll keep this space posted.

The replacement unit was because my old one died.  Probably due to
southbridge meltdown.  I will be looking for a better cooler for that
thing, it'll give you a blister if you leave your finger on it.

I believe the kernel usb bus log message spamming was fixed between
2.6.22 and 2.6.22-git16.  I haven't installed any other kernels or
finished looking at the kernel commit logs yet to see which one fixed
it.  I just went straight to the latest kernel that was available today
and was going to start troubleshooting from there.  I enabled
CONFIG_USB_DEBUG and went to start testing and the problem wasn't
there.  I am happy I can use my console again.

--
David