[mythtv-users] OT: Stream Music around the house

Ian Macdonald ian at caliban.org
Fri Jul 20 17:48:33 UTC 2007

On Thu 19 Jul 2007 at 14:11:30 +0100, Damian wrote:

> I'm currently looking out for Slim devices on ebay. They're looking a
> bit too pricey for me, but I'll see if any deals come up in the next
> month or so (is there a way to automatically check ebay for items?)

I'm surprised no-one has mentioned Sonos yet:

  http://www.sonos.com/

I have 3 floors in my home with 2 listening zones (ZP-100 units) per
floor and 1 LCD remote controller per floor. I've been quite happy with
the results, although the equipment is definitely not cheap.

You can run them either wired or wireless, they support SMB (so you can
access your NAS box) and they'll also stream music from the Internet.
There's also music service integration, such as Rhapsody, but I've never
used it, because I'm not in the US.

Another nice feature is the ability to link zones, so that if I go
upstairs, I can link a zone up there with the one I'm in downstairs and
then walk upstairs without missing anything. If I'm not going back
downstairs, I then unlink the downstairs zone from the controller
upstairs.

You can even set alarms with the Sonos, so you wake up to your favourite
music or radio station.

One last nice feature I'll mention is the 4 port switch on the back of
the ZP-100 zone players, which means that if you don't have Ethernet
around the home, these boxes function as wireless bridges.

Ian
--
Ian Macdonald               | Baruch's Observation:  If all you have is a
ian at caliban.org             | hammer, everything looks like a nail.