[mythtv-users] [slightly OT] HDTV cpu

Steven Adeff adeffs.mythtv at gmail.com
Thu Jul 19 16:27:23 UTC 2007

On 7/19/07, Steve MacLaren <scram69 at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 7/11/07, Ian Forde <ian at duckland.org> wrote:
> > I'd go with the Athlon 64 X2 3600+.  I'm playing back 1080i and 720p
> > (admittedly downscaled for now) just fine on my Athlon 64 3200+.  The
> > 2nd core would definitely help for commflagging more than the slightly
> > higher rating would...
> >
> >         -I
> >
> > On Thu, 2007-07-12 at 01:06 -0400, Daniel Agar wrote:
> > > I know this question is asked over and over again but I'm a little
> unclear
> > > if a dual core cpu would be better for this case. So is a single core
> cpu
> > > with a higher "rating" actually faster than a dual core cpu with a lower
> > > rating?
> > > Which would I be better off with playing back and commflagging 720p and
> > > 1080i from firewire.
> > > AMD Athlon 64 3800+ or AMD Athlon 64 X2 3600+
> > >
> > > Any thoughts would be much appreciated.
> > >
> > > Daniel
> > >

> I'm currently running with the AMD Athlon 64 X2 3600+ for broadcast HDTV
> playback.  Having the second core available for commflagging is nice as
> during HD playback, Xorg keeps one core between 90 and 100%.
>
> Unfortunately there are too many boldface "?" on the wiki page to know for
> sure if this is the performance one should expect for this CPU.  However the
> strange thing is that I see no difference using XvMC or not.  I have an
> Nvidia 6200 using the proprietary nvidia drivers (see the nvidia logo during
> login).  So my results may not be "typical".

Sounds about right from my experience.

> I'm using a DFI Infinity NF Ultra II M2 motherboard.  Would overclocking be
> an option

yes, that board should overclock quite well. you may want to update
the BIOS first. The AM2 3600+'s overclock quite well. with good RAM
and a good heatsink you should be able to get it to 2.8-3.0Ghz. Of
course a new Brisbane 4000+ is $70...

--
Steve
Before you ask, read the FAQ!