[mythtv-users] [slightly OT] HDTV cpu

Steven Adeff adeffs.mythtv at gmail.com
Thu Jul 12 20:23:52 UTC 2007

On 7/12/07, Daniel Agar <daniel at agar.ca> wrote:
> I know this question is asked over and over again but I'm a little unclear
> if a dual core cpu would be better for this case. So is a single core cpu
> with a higher "rating" actually faster than a dual core cpu with a lower
> rating?
> Which would I be better off with playing back and commflagging 720p and
> 1080i from firewire.
> AMD Athlon 64 3800+ or AMD Athlon 64 X2 3600+
>
> Any thoughts would be much appreciated.
>
> Daniel

Go with a Brisbane 3600+, or 4000+, they're relatively close in price
and both easily overclock. the 4000+ will easily hit 3GHz, possibly
even with the stock heatsink and fan.
I'm building my mom a frontend/kitchen computer for their remodel with
the Brisbane 4000+ and a BIOSTAR 7050 motherboard via a Newegg combo
deal going on right now.

whatever you do, get an AM2, it will be supported with the AM2+ quad
core chips coming out "soon".

--
Steve
Before you ask, read the FAQ!