[mythtv-users] Frontend hogs the CPU

Jim Carter jimc at math.ucla.edu
Tue Jul 17 20:12:33 UTC 2007

On Tue, 17 Jul 2007, Michael T. Dean wrote:

> On 07/17/2007 01:34 AM, Jim Carter wrote:
> > Here's the fix: don't use the builtin OpenGL;
>
> Actually, the fix would be to correct your install of OpenGL support.
> The workaround is to disable OpenGL in MythTV's UI.

I don't have much to get my teeth into here.  MythTV is the only program
where I've noticed OpenGL problems.  There is one possibility: I'm using
the nVidia proprietary driver version 1.0.9631, which is far from the
latest.  I noticed in a FAQ about VNC that (when that was written) the
nVidia driver when doing direct rendering messes up the XDAMAGE extension,
and if it has a problem there, it might :-) have other bugs.

I'll try installing the latest nVidia driver and see if that helps.  But do
you have any other suggestions of issues that MythTV brings out the worst
in?

James F. Carter          Voice 310 825 2897    FAX 310 206 6673
UCLA-Mathnet;  6115 MSA; 405 Hilgard Ave.; Los Angeles, CA, USA 90095-1555
Email: jimc at math.ucla.edu  http://www.math.ucla.edu/~jimc (q.v. for PGP key)