[mythtv-users] Live HD TV jumpy

Patrick Wagstrom patrick at wagstrom.net
Mon Jul 16 21:53:33 UTC 2007

> BTW, I looked at my CPU usage again and something I've done (upgrades,
> configuration, xorg.conf settings, ???) has made the CPU usage during HD
> (1080i with Dolby Digital) playback only use a little over 50%!  When I
> switch to live TV, it's no higher, but the jumpy, blocky, unwatchable
> problem is still there.
>
> Still hoping someone can tell me what's different between watching a
> show that's recording and watching live TV.  Thanks again.

It's a difference in how the programs are recorded and the restrictions
placed on the recording of the programs by the architecture of Myth.  LiveTV
has a ringbuffer and needs to have a few tighter constraints with regards to
processing the data.  The standard recording system is a bit better at this
-- or at least it in older versions of MythTV, it could have changed in the
current system.

As far as the guy who suggested it being a high MySQL load, it's very
unlikely.  When recording the database sits largely idle.  The spots that
hit the DB the hardest are listing programs, which is a big query.  Your
MySQL setup almost certainly has nothing to do with it.

In either case, most people stop watching live TV after a while anyway, just
scheduling everything and watching it later.

--Patrick