[mythtv-users] OT: Persistent DVB node

Razza ray at brambletree.net
Sun Jul 15 18:27:55 UTC 2007

Mike Perkins wrote on 15 July 2007 18:47:
> Why do you need so many sources? Are you really in a location that
> receives signals from four directions, each with non-overlapping
> program
> lists? My 3 dvb cards all use the same single source definition. Are
> you
> aware that describing multiple sources will cause mythfilldatabase to
> pull down the same data once for each source defined (in the UK)?
>
> You don't have to define a source for each card. And do you really need
> to record/watch that many programs at the same time?

Errrr i'm just being greedy! Seriously, I intend to have a couple (maybe a
few - if i'm feeling rich enough to buy a footie package this year) of DVB-S
cards pointing at different satellites and a couple of DVB-T cards pointing
at a single transmitter.
So I may get away with 8 /dev/dvb/ nodes. Don't forget using the "Hero-Nick"
method (which is the only one that works after months of my looking!) you
need two nodes per card (the one udev allocates and the one you link to so
udev doesn't mix up your DVB-T cards and DVB-S cards or your DVB-S cards
with different viewing cards pointing at different satellites).

Fancy helping with that grep/shell script ;o)

Ray