[mythtv-users] TiVo-like program guide

Jay Mallar surfing at jaymallar.com
Wed Jul 11 22:46:21 UTC 2007

On 07/11/2007, mtdean at thirdcontact wrote:
* <http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/engine?user=1296;list=mythtv>*>
http://www.pvrcompare.com/SATivo2TivoChannelGuide.jpg
 > >> Looks to me like that assumes that the user is more interested in
 > >> watching a particular channel than in watching a particular show. ...
 > > That's entirely true. I have several channels that I just scan
 > > through when I'm looking for something to watch.
 >
 > Eventually, you'll probably get to the point that you never need to do
 > th at--you'll scan through the list of recorded programs when you're
 > looking for something to watch. Then, the EPG is /only/ useful for
 > scheduling recordings--and even then, searches are often easier than
 > using the EPG (whether vertical or horizontal). But, if it's something
 > you want now and you're willing to code it, feel free.

I should probably rephrase my original statement.  When I'm looking for
something to watch, I do scan my recordings.  However, I often look for
new things to record, and for that, the channel scan the vertical grid
provides is useful.

 > > Discovery Channel, HBO... sometimes I'm not looking for something
 > > in particular, but I know I watch a lot of what those channels put
 > > out, and often like to see what's coming up that I might be interested
 > > in recording.
 >
 > Sounds like a perfect reason to implement Chris Petersen's
 > long-sought-after multiple named favorites lists with easy list
 > switching. :)

Believe it or not, haven't heard about it.  Got a link to a wish-list
item or something?

 > If you do implement the vertical guide, you may want to talk to Justin
 > Hornsby about doing so in a way that's "best" for theme developers.

Yah, I had planned, if I ever get around to doing the code, to make it
themable as well.  Is Justin the keeper of the themes?

--
-Jay