[mythtv-users] ATSC EIT

jack snodgrass mrlinuxgroups at gmail.com
Tue Jul 10 22:28:32 UTC 2007

On 7/10/07, Daniel Kristjansson <danielk at cuymedia.net> wrote:
> On Tue, 2007-07-03 at 21:10 -0700, Tim Schall wrote:
> > Carl is correct.  I am not a computer programmer and I don't know that
> > MythTV will or won't support a source other than datadirect.
> >
> > As far as PSIP goes, it is not a part of either the ATSC or mpeg standards.
> > The FCC "decided" that it should be included 'by reference' so we're stuck
> > with it.
>
> MythTV collect PSIP data if you enable it for the listings
> source (or use "EIT only" as your source), and it is enabled
> in each channel's setup. By default MythTV enables it for
> any channel that sets the PSIP enabled flag for EIT, which
> includes most stations now. You can still disable this after
> channel scanning because a few stations still do not report
> data that is "substantially accurate".
>
> Right now, MythTV does not filter the data so the latest pull
> from DataDirect will overwrite EIT data once a day, and then
> EIT data will overwrite DataDirect data as it trickles in.
> We started implementing the filtering a couple years ago and
> much of the code is there, it just needs to be employed by
> the DataDirect and XMLTV components of mythfilldatabase. The
> project to implement ATSC EIT faltered a bit when DataDirect
> data became available..
>
> I wrote most of the ATSC EIT code in MythTV so I get the
> blame for anything that doesn't work... I wrote this without
> access to the MPEG standards and using only public information
> so some of it needed to be designed based on interpretation
> of the data being sent over the air. I'm pretty confident that
> it is 99.9% correct now, 3+ years after I wrote the code.
>
> -- Daniel

Not sure if this is the same thing or not.. but my new HDTV has a tv guide
that appears to be different than the ATSC EIT that is sent on the HDTV
channels. I get tv guide info OTA for ALL stations in my area.. not just
HDTV ones.  The TV has to be 'off' in order for the tv guild to be updated.
I get a couple of weeks worth of guide info for all of the locast OTA stations
in my area.

Can  mythtv receive these tv guide type broadcast?

jack