[mythtv-users] ATSC EIT

Daniel Kristjansson danielk at cuymedia.net
Tue Jul 10 21:47:28 UTC 2007

On Tue, 2007-07-03 at 21:10 -0700, Tim Schall wrote:
> Carl is correct.  I am not a computer programmer and I don't know that
> MythTV will or won't support a source other than datadirect.
>
> As far as PSIP goes, it is not a part of either the ATSC or mpeg standards.
> The FCC "decided" that it should be included 'by reference' so we're stuck
> with it.

MythTV collect PSIP data if you enable it for the listings
source (or use "EIT only" as your source), and it is enabled
in each channel's setup. By default MythTV enables it for
any channel that sets the PSIP enabled flag for EIT, which
includes most stations now. You can still disable this after
channel scanning because a few stations still do not report
data that is "substantially accurate".

Right now, MythTV does not filter the data so the latest pull
from DataDirect will overwrite EIT data once a day, and then
EIT data will overwrite DataDirect data as it trickles in.
We started implementing the filtering a couple years ago and
much of the code is there, it just needs to be employed by
the DataDirect and XMLTV components of mythfilldatabase. The
project to implement ATSC EIT faltered a bit when DataDirect
data became available..

I wrote most of the ATSC EIT code in MythTV so I get the
blame for anything that doesn't work... I wrote this without
access to the MPEG standards and using only public information
so some of it needed to be designed based on interpretation
of the data being sent over the air. I'm pretty confident that
it is 99.9% correct now, 3+ years after I wrote the code.

-- Daniel