[mythtv-users] Best Remote?

Jake Palmer jakep_82 at hotmail.com
Tue Jul 10 21:32:24 UTC 2007

>From: "David Frascone" <dave at frascone.com>
>To: "Discussion about mythtv" <mythtv-users at mythtv.org>
>Subject: [mythtv-users] Best Remote?
>Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2007 16:46:28 -0400
>
>I currently have a Harmony 880 remote -- but I'm thinking of downgrading.
>
>It used to control my vcr, media center, dvd player, dvd recorder, and
>comcast PVR.  (And, of course, TV and AV Receiver)
>
>Now it controls my mythtv, and, occasionally, a VCR.  (And TV & AV
>receiver)
>
>But -- I've had trouble finding a good profile to have enough buttons to
>control my myth effectively.  I want commercial skip buttons, delete
>buttons, parental control buttons, etc.  So I quickly run out.
>
>So -- my question is -- what's the best remote for Myth?  I'm willing to
>e-bay my harmony, to if I can find something with lots of buttons, with a
>good lircrc, that will also control volume on my AV receiver, and power on
>my TV.
>
>Any suggestions?
>
>-Dave
>
>--
>David Frascone
>
>Oxymoron: Safe Sex.

I have an IR keyboard and a $25 8in1 learning remote from Radio Shack.  It's
not quite perfect, but it works well for what it is.  I also recently bought
an X10 iconremote, and it works fairly well.  My only complaint is a slight
lag between pressing the button and the signal actually being sent.  Overall
though I would say it was worth the $80 I paid for it.  I can program up to
27 commands in the soft buttons plus it has tons of hard buttons.  Very
convenient.

Jake