[mythtv-users] Any way to pay?

Rod Smith mythtv at rodsbooks.com
Thu Jul 5 18:41:46 UTC 2007

On Thursday 05 July 2007 13:39, Carl Reynolds wrote:
> Tim Schall wrote:
> > Hi Carl:
>  > <snip...>
> >
> > One station down, how many are left?
> >
> > Tim
>
> Thanks Tim,
>
> That was very informative. I think your last statement high lights the
> problem we are having. It's my understanding that there about 6800
> stations in the US

I don't think it's quite THAT bad. I recall earlier there was a figure
somewhere in that vicinity for the number of registered TV-band transmitters
in the US, but the number of stations carrying programs we actually care
about is smaller. There are 210 DMAs (television markets) in the United
States:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_television_stations_in_North_America_by_media_market

Most of these have fewer than a dozen broadcast stations; the 6800 (or
whatever it is) figure includes transmitters that don't carry unique
programming. Based on the 210-DMA figure, I'd estimate that the total number
we'd need to be concerned about is probably between 1,500 and 3,000, although
this is just an estimate.

> and from what I gather, this will still not help us
> with the dozen or so Cable and Satellite providers that each have a
> different schedule covering each region.

There are two issues here: National (cable/satellite) stations and the
collections of those stations (lineups) carried by individual operators. Most
individual national stations are carried on multiple providers -- Comcast
Cable, Cox Cable, DirecTV, etc., all carry such staples as CNN and TNT. The
CNN feed carried by Comcast is the same as the one carried by DirecTV. (Note
an exception below, though.) Once you've got the listings for those channels,
it's relatively easy to link them to channel numbers for the lineups of
individual carriers or markets, and those linkages don't change all that
often. (To be sure, they DO change occasionally, and creating a lineup isn't
a zero-effort proposition; but compared to actually updating the data on
actual broadcast schedules on a day-to-day basis, the amount of work is
minor.)

There are, of course, a few more extra channels and complications, such as
local cable-only channels and cases in which a cable operator combines two
channels, using one frequency to deliver one station during certain hours and
a second station during other hours. Such cases would probably require unique
channel identifications. There are also east and west coast feeds of some
channels, which again would have to be listed as distinct channels.

Overall, I'd say there are probably 3,000 to 5,000 stations whose data might
need to be delivered, most of those being local broadcast and cable community
access stations. Granted, that's not orders of magnitude less than the 6,800
number you mention, but it is a smaller number, and my estimate includes all
the national channels. The different lineups carried by different cable
providers add to the work, but they don't multiply it.

> While it's good to know that you want to help, and we may need to
> re-visit this method in the future, I hope there is a more centralized
> way of getting this information to all the US users. Using the program
> feed from each provider directly in MythTV would get to be a bit of a
> maintenance nightmare.

Hypothetically, if every station would make the data available in some
standardized way, it would be fairly easy from the MythTV user's point of
view -- you'd just need to configure your system to look to certain Web
sites, P2P sites, Usenet newsgroups, or whatever. Of course, this is a
pipe-dream sort of hypothetical; I expect it would be an uphill battle,
possibly of Sisyphean proportions, to get every station to provide data in
such a way.

A more likely scenario would involve collating data from a handful of sources
(direct from TV stations, by scraping TV stations' or satellite/cable
providers' Web sites, from third-party TV listings, etc.), massaging it into
a common format, and redistributing it. This would be manageable even for a
relatively small operation, but there are important legal questions,
particularly when it comes to program descriptions rather than purely factual
data (for instance, that "Green Acres" is being shown at 3:00 on channel 47).

--
Rod Smith
http://www.rodsbooks.com