[mythtv-users] ATI vs NVidia card conclusion

MartinG gronslet at gmail.com
Mon Jul 2 23:15:48 UTC 2007

On 7/2/07, Michelle Dupuis <support at ocg.ca> wrote:
> I then bought a $150 NVidia video card, and it was completely up and running
> in 10 minutes.

First off: Good to hear that you have found a graphics card that works
for you! :)

I would, however, avoid letting this be a conclusion on the Nvida vs
ATI war for MythTV users. Rather, we should update the appropriate
wiki page on successful hardware for mythtv to include your setup.

Also, be sure to include what *combination* of hardware/setup you are
using and are satisfied with. What distro, kernel version, cpu,
motherboard, spesific closed source nvidia driver (obtained from
where?) etc are you using? What spesific card - some vendors tend to
change the ICs on the cards without renaming them. This might not be
the case for Nvidia, though.
Also - what kind of video out are you using - composite tv out or
something else. Do you have a modern flatscreen or an old CRT TV that
needs some overscan settings in xorg.conf (or tweaking with
nvidia-settings). All of this might place the card in another category
for other users having slightly different setups.

I myself have tried both ATI and Nvidia cards, and am not satisfied
with either of them (details for the nvidia card can be found in
another thread "NVP: prebuffering pause on older Athlon XP/NVidia
machine" 2 Jul 2007). I am experiencing pretty much the same problems
with my Nvidia card as you described in the thread "Stuttery / jerky
DVD playback".

My point is - let's not jump to the conclusion that Nvidia is the best
choice [for all].
Rather: Nvidia was the best choice for your specific setup (and it
would be nice if you included hardware/software details on you success
story ;))

best regards,
MartinG

PS: Are there any open sourced Intel graphics cards for non-laptop
computers available yet?