[mythtv-users] HD Woes (getting closer)

Steven Adeff adeffs.mythtv at gmail.com
Wed Jan 31 14:07:25 UTC 2007

On 1/30/07, Nate Crosno <nate at crosno.net> wrote:
> Nate Crosno wrote:
> > Steven Adeff wrote:
> >>
> >> try replacing your EDID and ModeTimings options with the
> >> ModeValidation equivalents (or getting rid of them entirely).
> >>

> > Alrighty, we are making a little progress here.  Still working with DVI
> > and not component (the onboard NV 6100 has both).  After removing the
> > EDID stuff and restarting X in verbose mode, I saw a bunch more possible
> > modes.  No 1920x1080_60 modes though....
> >
> > (II) NVIDIA(0): "1920x1080"          : 1920 x 1080 @ 120.1 Hz Interlace
> > (from: EDID)
> > (II) NVIDIA(0): "1920x1080_120i"     : 1920 x 1080 @ 120.1 Hz Interlace
> > (from: EDID)
> > (II) NVIDIA(0): "1440x480"           : 1440 x  480 @ 120.1 Hz Interlace
> > (from: EDID)
> > (II) NVIDIA(0): "1440x480_120i"      : 1440 x  480 @ 120.1 Hz Interlace
> > (from: EDID)
> > (II) NVIDIA(0): "1280x720"           : 1280 x  720 @  60.0 Hz  (from: EDID)
> > (II) NVIDIA(0): "1280x720_60"        : 1280 x  720 @  60.0 Hz  (from: EDID)
> > .....and downward....
> >
> > There is no 1920x540 mode either.  When I try the first 1080i mode
> > above, the screen is twice as tall as it should be (can't see the bottom
> > half). Seems like I really need a 540 tall desktop.I tried putting in
> > "1920x540" as a mode, but it rejected that.  Maybe my EDID is reporting
> > junk?
> >

> Still closer...
>
> I tried the 540i setting reported my my EDID again.  I had tried it before, but X rejected it.
> Now that the EDID options in xorg.conf are different, it took it.  However, now the problem
> is nearly the opposite of what I reported above: the width is twice is big as it should be
> and is squished to fit the screen.  Here is the mode generated by the EDID export from
> nvidia-settings:
>
>         Mode    "1920x540"      # vfreq 60.053Hz, hfreq 33.750kHz
>                 DotClock        74.250000
>                 HTimings        1920 2008 2052 2200
>                 VTimings        540 542 547 562
>                 Flags   "Interlace" "+HSync" "+VSync"
>         EndMode
>
> I also tried the 960x540p mode from Jarod Wilson's guide (also notice it on other
> non-myth sites):
>
>         Mode "960x540p"
>                 DotClock 37.26
>                 HTimings 960 976 1008 1104
>                 VTimings 540 542 548 563
>                 Flags "+HSync" "+VSync"
>         EndMode
>
> X took it without complaining, and the proportions were correct on the display, but it still
> required deinterlacing for 1080i content in Myth and my cpu usage was still maxed out
> (running latest .20 ebuild, BTW). X also took his "in1080i" mode, but my TV would not
> (blank screen).
>
> The 540p mode did seem to pause less often then other things I have tried. Which
> deinterlacer would be best for this mode?
>
> Is there such a thing as a 960x540i mode? I tried some modeline calculators but could
> [...]

1920x540 is a half height 1920x1080 mode, so of course it would look funny.

Try just "1920x1080_60i" as your mode. Or paste one of the modes that
your EDID returned.
You don't need to put *any* modelines in. I have none defined, I just
use the ModePool modes.
If your TV accepts 1080p then try "1920x1080_60". you can also put
"1280x720_60" for 720p content playback.

--
Steve
Before you ask, read the FAQ!