[mythtv-users] UTF-8 characters die after changing channels.

Dave M G martin at autotelic.com
Wed Jan 31 12:06:57 UTC 2007

MythTV Users,

A while back, I had solved how to get Japanese characters to display
properly in the on screen guide:
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/246602?search_string=unicode%20characters;#246602

I noticed at the time some odd behavior, which I've puzzled over for a
while and have not been able to solve.

When in browse mode, I use the up and down arrows to view descriptions,
in Japanese, of what is on the other channels. The Japanese displays fine.

But, when I select a channel and go there, the information in the on
screen display turns into question marks.

If I'm not in browse mode, when I change channels, the on screen display
information is always in question marks.

There are two possibilities here:

1. After a channel is changed, the on screen display accesses some
new/different information from the database, which has not been properly
stored in utf-8 encoding

2. The OSD display that comes on after a channel has been changed uses a
different font that is set somewhere other than
Utilities/Setup->Setup->TV Settings->Playback->On Screen display->OSD font

Is there another table in the database that has additional program
information? Or another font setting I should be looking at?

Any advice or information would be much appreciated.

--
Dave M G
Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy Eft